The Name of the Iceland Parliament is:

(a) Alþingi Íslendinga (Assembly of All)

(b) Folketing

(c) Congress

(d) None of these

Details:

The Alþingi (general meeting in Icelandic, The Althing was founded in 930 at Þingvellir, situated approximately 45 kilometers (28 mi) east of what later became the country's capital, Reykjavík. Even after Iceland's union with Norway in 1262, the Althing still held its sessions at Þingvellir until 1800, when it was discontinued. It was restored in 1844 by royal decree and moved to Reykjavík. The restored unicameral legislature first came together in 1845 and after 1874 operated in two chambers with an additional third chamber taking on a greater role as the decades passed until 1991 when Althing became once again unicameral. The present parliament building, the Alþingishús, was built in 1881 and made of hewn Icelandic stone. The unicameral parliament has 63 members and is elected every four years based on party-list proportional representation. The current speaker of the Althing is Birgir Ármannsson.

Post a Comment

0 Comments